SHOW NOTES: Episode 30
If you have known me for a while, you have probably heard me share about how my husband and I love to watch crime shows, particularly Criminal Minds (we’ve been watching the series since the world shut down in 2020 – life with a toddler, right?!). There is something so fascinating about watching them debunk certain theories and get down to the real truth of the matter. So I thought it would be fun to do that on the show – debunk some common weight loss myths and share the facts with you instead.
There is SO MUCH misinformation floating around on the internet, and much of it has been proven that it doesn’t work or has yet to be proven at all, so it’s really understandable why you may get overwhelmed, frustrated, and ready to call it quits before you even get started.
Let’s take a few of these common myths and debunk them: once and for all.
- All calories are equal: All calories are indeed units of energy. That’s what a calorie is. BUT this does not mean that all calorie sources have equal effects on your weight and weight loss. For example, calories from protein are different from calories from carbs or fats.
- Supplements will help you lose weight: The weight loss industry is completely saturated with juices cleanses, magic diet pills, fat burner pills, weight loss wraps, detoxes, and the list goes on and on and on. There are a few vitamins I do recommend to my clients, but as far as actual weight loss supplements go, very rarely will you find one that is truly effective.
- Carbs cause weight gain: Most of the food that God gave us that grows in a garden, on a tree, etc (beans, potatoes, fruit, grains, vegetables) are classified as carbohydrates. These types of carbs given to us by God are incredibly healthy and shouldn’t be taken out of our diets. God gave them to us for a reason.
- Fat makes you fat: As with anything, eating fat in the proper portion is good for you: it’s essential actually for optimal brain and heart health. Your body needs fat.
- Eat less, move more: You can only keep this up so long – it eventually gets too restrictive to maintain. It works initially, but soon your body’s metabolic rate will slow down and your weight will begin to increase.
These are the BIG ones I see when I talk to clients and potential clients. Weight loss doesn’t have to be as complicated as it’s made out to be – it can actually be really simple. If you’d like to have a conversation about how to make it simple for YOU, fill out the application on my site and let’s have a conversation! Most of all, I want you to be well equipped on your health journey and know WHY you do the things you do.
I hope you enjoyed this episode! If so, please leave me a rating or review and connect with me on Instagram: @rachelmeigsking
In this episode, I cover:
- Common weight loss myths
- Weight loss facts to implement to see results
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN TODAY’S EPISODE:
- Interested in joining Feel Wonderful In Your Skin? Schedule a call here
- Carbs do not cause weight gain and fat does not make you fat! Listen to my previous episodes covering these topics for more details!
- Connect with me on Instagram: @rachelmeigsking
- Are you looking to improve your relationship with food and end the yo-yo, constant dieting, and make the changes you need while being able to fully live your life? Let’s talk more! Submit this form and let’s chat!
- Want healthy lifestyle tips and encouragement? Join me over in my free Facebook community: Heart, Soul, Mind, & Body Wellness
MORE ABOUT FEED YOURSELF: HEALTHY HABITS FOR THE MIND, BODY, & SOUL PODCAST:
Feed Yourself: Healthy Habits for the Mind, Body, & Soul is all about learning the key components of overall health based on Biblical principles. When most people think about getting in shape and becoming “healthy”, they immediately think about their physical health: losing weight, making exercise a priority, possessing flexibility and endurance, and remaining disease free. But Scripture makes it clear that physical wellness is not the only area that impacts health. In order to be TRULY healthy, we have to focus on four areas: spiritual health, emotional health, mental health, and physical health.
This podcast dives deep into the tools and head knowledge you will need in order to create lasting results, but it also looks at the element that truly ties it all together – the heart knowledge that incorporates faith in God in this area of our lives and how to apply it when things get tough (and they will!).
I wanted to create a space to let you know you are never alone on this journey. Through years of experience in doing everything the WRONG way, I am here to share my journey of getting healthy from the inside out – ditching the restriction and diet culture and truly learning to treat my body as the temple God intended it to be.
Grab a cup of coffee and join me as I discuss healthy habits to incorporate in your daily life to propel you forward and FEED YOURSELF on your journey to health in all areas: mind, body, and soul!