SHOW NOTES: Episode 10
We all have different responses to different foods. While food is the best medicine and can be used for healing, there’s a ton of confusion around food allergies and sensitive. In my own person life, my son has an egg allergy and I have a dairy intolerance.
The two most powerful ways of treating or reversing hundreds of common diseases are discovering hidden food intolerances and allergies and eating real whole foods. When you begin to treat your body as one functioning system and treat symptoms with a bandaid style approach. That is where healing begins.
The two most common foods that trigger sensitivity are dairy and gluten. These foods cause inflammation, which is the root of autoimmune disease. Inflammation is also behind arthritis and asthmatic diseases, depression, obesity, dementia, heart disease, all of the the things that are on a huge rise in our society today.
Food reactions that causes inflammation may be delayed or hard to detect. That’s why it’s important to know the signs to look for: brain fog, fatigue, irritable bowels, asthma, headaches or migraines, joint pain, insomnia, bloating, sinus congestion, acne, or eczema.
I also share more about alcohol with you in this episode. In doses of more than one or two glasses, alcohol becomes another source of poison for your body. It’s high in calories and sugar and it can make a massive impact on weight gain. It can damage your liver, your gut, and it can increase blood sugar levels. It can throw off your hormone levels and can cause inflammation of course.
Food allergies are different – these are low grade reactions to food that built up over team and can lead to chronic illness.
I highly recommend doing an elimination diet to find out what foods are affecting you.
Eliminate the problem foods and listen to your body. Your body will speak if you take the time to listen. I suggest doing an elimination diet for at least 2 weeks. Slowly add one thing at a time back in and see how your body responds.
Sometimes we are born with food sensitivies/allergies. And sometimes they are directly caused by the foods we eat. Processed high sugar, low fiber foods affect the bacteria in our digestive system. When you eat these foods, you feed the growth of bad bacteria that causes inflammation. Your immune system gets exposed to these inflammatory foods and bacteria growth. You have problems digesting this food that was never really meant to enter your body anyway and your immune system has an adverse reaction, leaving your body to make you sick instead of healing.
So, what do you do?
- You can take a probiotic which is healthy good bacteria to help your immune system and digestive help.
- You can eat foods that contain probiotics such as kimchi, kombucha, miso or sauerkraut.
- You can add more fiber to your diet and make sure you’re eating the daily minimum that is recommended for you.
- You can take a good quality multivitamin.
- Become an expert label reader. The ingredient list is what you need to truly study. If there are words on the label you can’t pronounce or don’t recognize it’s more than likely something you shouldn’t be putting in your mouth. Typically, real whole foods have less than 5 ingredients.
- Remember, above all else: Be your own advocate! Research things for yourself or reach out to a trusted professional for answers.
I would love to hear your personal story of intolerances or allergies – reach out to me on Instagram and let’s chat @rachelmeigsking Remember God calls us to community and we are in this together!
IN THIS EPISODE, WE COVER:
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Elimination diet
- What you can do to help a food allergy or intolerance
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN TODAY’S EPISODE:
- Follow my friend @foodallergyawesomeness on Instagram and visit her Etsy shop for the stickers that I mentioned in this episode!
- Check out last week’s episode here!
- Connect with me on Instagram: @rachelmeigsking
- Are you looking to improve your relationship with food and end the yo-yo, constant dieting, and make the changes you need while being able to fully live your life? Let’s talk more! Submit this form and let’s chat!
- Want healthy lifestyle tips and encouragement? Join me over in my free Facebook community: Heart, Soul, Mind, & Body Wellness
MORE ABOUT FEED YOURSELF: HEALTHY HABITS FOR THE MIND, BODY, & SOUL PODCAST:
Feed Yourself: Healthy Habits for the Mind, Body, & Soul is all about learning the key components of overall health based on Biblical principles. When most people think about getting in shape and becoming “healthy”, they immediately think about their physical health: losing weight, making exercise a priority, possessing flexibility and endurance, and remaining disease free. But Scripture makes it clear that physical wellness is not the only area that impacts health. In order to be TRULY healthy, we have to focus on four areas: spiritual health, emotional health, mental health, and physical health.
This podcast dives deep into the tools and head knowledge you will need in order to create lasting results, but it also looks at the element that truly ties it all together – the heart knowledge that incorporates faith in God in this area of our lives and how to apply it when things get tough (and they will!).
I wanted to create a space to let you know you are never alone on this journey. Through years of experience in doing everything the WRONG way, I am here to share my journey of getting healthy from the inside out – ditching the restriction and diet culture and truly learning to treat my body as the temple God intended it to be.
Grab a cup of coffee and join me as I discuss healthy habits to incorporate in your daily life to propel you forward and FEED YOURSELF on your journey to health in all areas: mind, body, and soul!